Thursday 16 April 2015

The Inca trail. My third trek with Macmillan Cancer Support 2003

I had always wanted to travel to Africa and in particularly Kenya, so I was delighted when Macmillan offered me a chance to climb Mount Kenya during the following autumn.  There was one major obstacle in the way, I had to obtain permission to take a week off school. This involved asking the head teacher and the governing body. They were in fact very supportive and allowed me to take the time off without pay. The head teacher even arranged a special fund raising breakfast for the children.  She had been fighting breast cancer for some years and was well aware of Macmillan’s fantastic services.  


Although I had exhausted my supply of friends willing to sponsor me, they were in fact very happy to be invited to any events they I arranged.  In the summer we had the first of our fabulous BBQ’s in our garden.  It was incredibly exciting and I had by now loads of ideas on fund raising, many of my friends and neighbours came and there was a great atmosphere. Some of my work colleagues brought their families, everyone had an amazing time; and children were on the trampling bouncing merrily until eleven o'clock.  Carnivals were a brilliant way to fund raise and to promote Macmillan Cancer Relief at the same time. I would book a stall, then ask for tombola items and vouchers for days out at local tourist attractions. Everyone was very generous and along with smaller items that I would buy from “cash and carry” we were able to put on three or four carnivals during the summer.

It was always good to meet local people at these events and they would often tell you their stories, praising Macmillan for the fantastic help that they had offered in their time of need. It was good to be part of something special and to be able to raise around three thousand pounds a year for them. 
The year passed quickly, the winter faded to spring and finally summer brought its sunshine and long gentle evenings. My trips into the forest became longer and easier and I enjoyed 10 mile walks with my rambling friends at weekends.


Dorset is a very beautiful county where the land falls into the sea in a most spectacular way. The sea can be aqua blue and the cliffs as white as peals in the sun light. From the extensive pebble Cheasle beach to the sparkling ring of Poole Bay, Dorset’s Jurassic coast shines in her extraordinary scenery.  Many of our walks were on the stunning Cranbourne chase with its deep bluebell woods and vivid yellow cowslip covered slopes. The weather changed with the seasons and so did the flora and fauna. In spring hares would act out their dance under a sky of wispy white cirrus clouds. While autumn saw the ghostly albino fallow deer who would lead a group of timid females though the silent woods as snow drifted quietly onto the darkened branches of ancient beech trees.




This is the place were ancient forest meets the ocean and The New Forest breaths life into our cities. Deep forest beckon and gentle shaded paths offer the most exquisite of walks, here was my home.
As summer waned and the ponies wandered amongst the fading purple heather. I heard that we were no longer making our way up the craggy crest of Mt Kenya, there had been developments in acts of terrorism within the country and it was not thought safe for us to travel there. Instead they offered us to trek along the Inca trail in Peru. Apart from the trek being on a different continent it involved arriving at a much higher altitude and I was worried as to how I would cope with this sudden change. We were to stay in Lima for one night and then fly on to Cusco the following morning. I had not had a particularly good autumn health wise and was suffering from an almost permanent cough. After some blood tests, chest x-rays and lung function tests had been completed by my doctor. Discover Adventure who arrange the treks for Macmillan were less than completely happy for me to travel. I was desperate to go and in denial that this might be a recipe for disaster, but they allowed me to go and so I packed and left with my usual amount of excitement and anxiety.

It was good to see some familiar faces at the airport. I had met a lovely couple while in Iceland who supported each other through thick and thin. He had been a vet and after developing a tumour in his brain had suffered a stroke and become partly blind. Mick also was troubled by his inability to remember the names of their four young sons but could remember many other lovely stories. It was a beautiful relationship, his wife lovingly and cheerily helped him to fill in the gaps in our conversations and tenderly lend him over the difficult terrain when needed. Now she was here once again with her sister, as Mick had become too sick to travel.  Annette and Christine had returned and also my singing companion from Iceland and there was a whole bunch of others either chattering away or looking like they had been persuaded to take the first manned shuttle to the moon.

I asked myself once more why I was saying goodbye to my devoted husband and our youngest daughter Rachel. It was time to go and I made my way forward in the queue for checking in.
It was a long flight , in three parts ; the first to Madrid and then over the blue depths of the Atlantic to the green magic and endless hours watching deep Amazon rainforests  turn into the mountains of the Andes. Finally we flew down across the low sandy desert hills that bridge the gap between the capital Lima and the high ancient city of Cusco.

It was there that we spent the night in the smoggy city centre of Lima. The hotel was small and uninspiring but after a wonderful Peruvian meal of kebabs, potatoes and avocados followed by a little camaraderie and fun from the guides as they teased that the chicken variety  had really been  Guinea pig, we wandered out to discover what secrets the city streets held.  We discovered that the streets were in fact as smelly as the air that we breathed there and looked forward to getting away as soon as possible the following morning on an early flight to Cusco.

The plane was old, silver and very crowded. The locals crammed there goods in the overhead lockers and once they were full the stewardesses packed still more, along with all our rucksacks, into the space between the back row of seats and the galley. It looked more like a bus on it was back from market as it rattled down the runway.

Cusco is an amazing city, high up in the Peruvian Andes, surrounded by a ring of sandy, sun kissed mountains. The landing is always an accelerating one, with a sudden sideways turn into the great bowl of mountains that protects Cusco from the elements.  Upon landing I was immediately taken aback by the lack of oxygen and the effect that it had on me. My heart pounded hard and fast in my chest and my breathing quickened and deepened as I lifted a fairly light pack from the cluttered airport carousel.  We left amid the clatter of camera lens as the Peruvian tourists paparazzi took our pictures for postcards to sell to us later. Then we made our way to the hotel where were to stay for a couple of nights to acclimatise to the altitude of 3400m and the highest that I had ever been.
That afternoon we took a taxi up to the centre of the old city, to walk through cluttered streets and ancient Peruvian and Spanish buildings that housed churches, monasteries, meandering markets and busy bars. Our hearts kept pounding as we puffed around and we had fun soaking up the warm sunshine on the balconies of tiny bars.  

Cusco was the site of the historic capital of the Inca Empire. The Spanish invaded in the year of 1533 and destroyed many of the Inca buildings, temples and palaces. They built onto these ruins and replaced them with their own convents and cathedrals, giving the buildings strangely solid looking foundations and elegant, even delicate upper parts. Many of the structures have suffered badly from earthquakes over the passing years and have been lovingly restored. 

According to Inca legend, the city of Cusco was built by the Sapa Inca “Pachacuti”, who was celebrated as the man who transformed the Kingdom of Cusco from a quiet city state into a vast empire known as Tahuantinsuyu.  Although the city was probably increasing in size from before his appearance anyway, as the rivers that had been channelled around the city had given it life and brought prosperity to the region.

The evening was made up of enjoying a meal back at the hotel. Most of the group rested during the evening and got an early night but others enjoyed the delights of more Peruvian bars and were later robbed by hoards of Peruvian children, spending the rest of the night trying to make a report of the loss of their valuables at the local police station. I would have had a good night if it wasn't for the constant thud of the disco below until 3am and my worsening cough.

So rising early to a bright day and boarding the coach, I tried hard to pretend that I could walk easily downhill from a height of 3600m and enjoy the ancient Peruvian sites of interest. It was a beautiful day, with a fine clear sky and views of distant places. We walked the dusty tracks,  photographed ragged children , listened to stories of Inca kings and watched locals covered in bright feathers pretend to be Incas who ruled in a day long past. The Fortress at Sacsayhuaman was vast with walls of huge stones piled upon each other so exactly that not even a hair can be fitted between the massive blocks. Although this site had not originally been built by the Incas, but by the much earlier Killke around 1100. The Incas had later occupied and expanded it in the 13th century.

The walk ended in a shady gully where tables laden with potatoes, meats, and avocados were set for us to enjoy. We ate and drunk our fill while listening to locals who played merry tunes on pan pipes and dance with colourful costumes.

The afternoon light crept in and we wandered back into town down dusty streets and meandering cobbled lanes, gulping down the denser air in the city. That evening we met in an upstairs room at the hotel to listen to an informative pre trek talk by the DA guides and the doctor, who warned us of high altitude illnesses and what signs and symptoms to expect. My heart had pounded as I climbed the stars to the seminar room and continued long after, even as I sat listening. Our job that evening was to go back to our rooms and pack a joint bag for the next 3 nights with whoever was our room/tent partner. This was to contain only the essentials. A sleeping bag, thermarest and one change of clothes, so that one porter would be able to carry it for us to our high camps. We changed rooms and slept a little better that night, the plumbing having been no better than the last room but it was a relief to be further away from the noisy disco.

The hotel had not really been a sanctuary, built over a Peruvian nightclub and with a plumbing system that was probably only intended to cope with the occasional visitor. We had all managed to emerge the second morning, be it rather haggard and pretending to be up for our trek to Macha Picchu following the route of the Inca trail.

After a long coach ride high into the mountains, along roads that hardly existed, narrowing at wooden bridges with twisting turns we arrived at Km28, the start of our trek. The porters gathered, weighing bags, tents and pots and pans. Everything that needed to be carried went on their backs and they did so at a running pace while wearing flip-flops and drinking partly fermented corn beer.

We bought wide brimmed hats, coco leaves and small woollen bags to carry them in. Then we were away to the entry post where our passports were stamped and entry cards given out. Our group walked along a gritty flat track enjoying the flowers: colourful fuchsias and busy lizzes. Small woolly cochineal insects, containing red dye that lived on prickly succulents and cacti, were painted on our foreheads by the local guides, nether to be removed for the rest of the trek as we had no water to wash with.  The bright crimson dry was used since the 15th century for colouring fabrics and had been used in the manufacturing industry of fabrics until the 19th century.  Quite recently however it has grown as more popular product in the food industry used as a colouring agent. Due to concerns that synthetic additives may be more dangerous to health the little creatures are being farmed for their unique properties once again. 

The group climbed up the valley stopping to listen occasionally to the local guides as they informed us in the history of their country. The mountains got higher, ancient sites appeared and vanished once again and the scenery became ever more impressive. By lunchtime we were all ready for a rest and the porters and cooks rallied around to organise food for the party of 27 trekkers, 8 guides and about 50 porters.  In no time at all we seemed to be off again, winding our way up the steep paths that became known as the Inca trail. We struggled on up, munching coco leaves and puffing and blowing. As the afternoon went by we were joined by a cluster of young children who merrily chatted as they led younger family members up along the track. Time waned and we became bothered about their continued presence. The children had been with us for about three hours of our upwards journey and they appeared not to be bothered by the distance that lay between the valley below and slopes above. The guides laughed and informed us that the children were on their way home from school! Education in Peru is held in high regard and a 4 or 5 hour return journey for morning classes is considered normal in the mountains.

By the end of the afternoon I had become very quiet and was reacting badly to the altitude.  I was unsure of what was wrong with me as my heart pounded and I felt the trickle of fluid building up steadily in my lungs. I felt tried and my legs became lead like, but I struggled on into camp and fell into my sleeping bag coughing badly and bringing up copious amounts of frothy fluid up. The porters and local guides kindly came around with cups of coco tea and a bowl of water to wash with.  They asked if I was ok with some degree of concern, obviously having seen something like this before. I assumed it was just my cold that had got worse and said that I would be fine.

There was salted popcorn (to help with sodium levels reduced from sweating while walking), in the group meeting tent and we were given the details of the following days walk. This was to be an early start and up hill for the majority of the day until we reached the summit of Dead woman’s pass at 4200m.

After we had eaten well in our cosy tent, the group sat out on the grassy slopes of the camp site and drank a few beers purchased from local ladies who had carried them up to the camp at 3000m. We watched the sun quickly dipping down, leaving an alpine glow of orange and pink on the 6000m mountains at the head of the valley. The air had been still but now birds began to gather noisily in a lush green tree of large broad leaves and tubercular white flowers that looked like giant dangling lily blooms.  The sun finally set beyond the valley and a sudden movement triggered a large flock of brilliant green parrots to rise from the tree as if the tree it’s self was lifting from the mountain side.   
The light fading fast and the first star of the southern hemisphere appeared in the cool night sky.  The moon rose from beyond the valley sides and made its way slowly across the darkening night sky, its ark gently followed by on lookers in ore of this beautiful sight. It seemed as if every star in the heavens was a jewel hung in a deep pool of sequins, dotting the night sky with their twinkling light. I had never witnessed the presents of so many stars before.

The tents were arranged along the top of the camp site in a neat row, having been erected by the porters. I tried sleeping that night but sleep came only briefly and I eventually gave up and visited the saw dust filled toilet. Unfortunately I forgot the whereabouts of my tent on my return and wandered around in the gloom of the approaching dawn hoping that I might remember which tent housed my cosy warm sleeping bag. My mind was fogged due to the effects of the altitude and I rummaged around looking for some precious water that my body needed. I felt sick, had a headache and my tummy was feeling pretty ropey.

The porters and cooks who had been sleeping outside on plastic sheeting were now rising and had begun to make porridge and pancakes for breakfast. My tent partner finally called for me and I returned to the warmth of the tent until we were called for breakfast with a cup of coco tea and more warm water for washing. Breakfast was in one of the larger tents, of which there were two. It was a fine affair, with pancakes, porridge, birthday balloons and even a cake, made in camp at 6am and we all sang happy birthday under canvas. I ate very little and joined the others as they warmed up with exercises together. I had never taken part in the morning warm ups, preferring to go for a run up a local hill or viewpoint and escape all the wiggling and bending while being videoed. So it was not seen as a worry that I was not joining in.

We left camp in single file as porters needed to pass us on the outside. I lost interest in talking, withdrawing into myself, hearing the chatter of others that I normally loved to share my thoughts with, but today making no response. The local guides noticed my stopping, losing balance and disappearing briefly into a distant part of my mind, before returning and responding that I unsure of what was wrong. It’s a very strange feeling, that of AMS, you feel as if you are not really in your own body, and come and go at random. Sometimes believing you are in a completely different place or with different individuals. As the day passed I believed I was in a safe place, Scafell Pike in Cumbria, even knowing the route. But I was far from safe, unable to say how I felt and the doctor only knowing that I had the tummy upset that was going around the group and was expected in a location so different.

With a shaky hand I willed myself to drink some corn soup at our lunch stop, but declined the offer of sleeping for a while in the warm afternoon sunshine as I had a strange feeling that I might not wake from it. My heart still pounding in my clogged chest and a feeling of falling backwards , I climbed on up towards Dead Woman’s pass at 4200m ; which was to be our highest point on the trek. The DA guides decide to take me on up ahead of the others who were resting, as I would be slower and they could catch me up later. The DA crew still believed that I was just suffering from a local tummy bug.
I walked on slowly with my guide ahead of me, I had no interest in the beautiful scenery, conversation or anything else for that matter. I have no memory of this part of the journey, only the pain of breathing and struggling for my next breath. My bubbly cough became worse, bringing up a substantial quantity of frothy phlegm.     Suddenly it was all over, my guide having made the decision to stop and call the doctor, who quickly ran to my side. I have never been able to concern anyone with my aliments so I had just been hoping that the summit was not too far away and a rest would help. Funnily enough  it wasn't until the leader started bombarding me with questions and told me firmly that if they didn't get me down quickly then I would be going home in a box ,that the penny dropped that my condition was probably quite serious . The DA leader prescribed my retreat to the valley below and our trek doctor giving me a large handful of tablets to combat the high altitude pulmonary oedema that I was now suffering from. Her main concern that I was also worryingly showing signs of it becoming the much more dangerous high altitude cerebral oedema. I remember telling them that I was ok, my usual line, and that I would be fine going over into the next valley. Which of course in my mind was probably Wasdale and not high on the Inca trail!

The decision was made for me to be taken down to the valley below by a local guide and two porters, who would carry me if need be. I made my way down the trail against the flow of trekkers and porters on their upwards journey and the guide told me quietly that the rest of the group had reach the summit. In my exhaustion I was happy for them, shedding a tear of pride for their achievement, but he thought I was giving up and hurried me on.  Sometime later I found myself travelling speedily down an extremely rocky track that twisted violently, upon the back of a small donkey. And as the poor animal stumbled at seemingly impossible drops, I woke with a desperate need to pee, begging the porters to let me down. They were wholeheartedly against the idea although eventually agreed that this would be possible as long as I could make my own way into the brushes, as they were shy about seeing a woman do this, being good Catholics. They were very sweet but my need to pee by then was so desperate that I announced that “if they didn't let me down I would surly wet the poor donkey”.  The diuretics must have finally worked!

After the rather hairy donkey ride, which I somehow slept though most of, we four returnees waited in the cool night air for a train. The guide gave me more tablets, I had to pee more and the porters shared the little food that I had in my day bag as they were hungry. The porters boarded the first train with a hopeful farewell and I slept in the guides sleeping bag while we wait for a train to take us to the little town where I was continue with any necessary treatment. The empty train tumbled along the narrow track in the darkness, until we finally reached the small mountain town that serviced tourists visiting Machu Picchu. Undo

1   As I rested in the local hostel the guide told me to leave the door and internal window open as medical staff had been called. A doctor and nurse came with oxygen that they left in my room and spoke about a letter that had been sent by our own doctor. Then after examining me, they discussed matters with some concern and left my guide with some more tablets leaving me for the night.

The relief of being at a much lower altitude was all that I needed to restore my health to a much more acceptable level. I ate a little breakfast with the encouragement that we could have a walk along the railway track if I did so.

It was beautiful to be out in this busy working valley. The colours seemed more vivid; clouds of butterflies danced about, brightly coloured flowers lined the tracks and small farms were tucked beneath the ark of green mountains. The tracks led to waterfalls that tumbled into dainty pools where the sun danced about on their silky ribboned surfaces. I was very glad to be able to enjoy this special place, and returning to the hostel I further enjoyed sitting outside on the dusty paved lane with my back to the wall and my head in the golden sun. Small children on their way back from school bought ice lollies and chattered playfully. I felt happy and safe now but I knew that I had to go back up to Matcu Putchi early the following morning and the return to the much higher altitude of Cusco the following day.

In the semi darkness of the morning a storm crashed around the valley, flooding the streets and cooling the atmosphere. It felt chilly on the Mountains as we walked towards the “Sun gate”, high above the ancient site. The others were much relived to see me again, and after group photos we went down to view the splendours of Machu Picchu. The storm was distancing itself from us but it was still very cold and miserable as the rain fall around us.

Machu Picchu was lost to the outside would for many years, although locals had always known of its whereabouts. It wasn't until 1911 that American historian Hiran Bingham visited the site and understood how significant his find would be to world history. Because of this it is often referred to as the “lost city of the Incas”.  Machu Picchu translates as ‘old Peak’, it lays high on a summit above the Urubamba valley at an altitude of 2430m.  The city was built for the Inca emperor Pachacuti around 1450 and is divided into three main parts with enticing names like “The temple of the sun” and “The room of three windows”. Within one hundred years the lost city of Incas had fallen, its occupants having died of smallpox long before the Spanish came anywhere near. In fact there is no evidence that the Spanish ever found the remount valley and the site just became part of the mountain landscape, lost and hidden forever.

We didn’t stay long in this cold, damp landscape, however special it might be. So after a tour of the site we were on a bus and heading back to Angas Callientes, the little town in the valley where we would catch a train back to Cusco.  We had a fine lunch in the hostel and I waved farewell to the porters who were waiting at the station. It was back to Cusco for a day off to explore or shop in the markets if we wished and then enjoy a special celebration meal, night clubs Peruvian style, dancing and staying out until it was time to leave for Lima, whatever took our fancy.

In Lima we filled our waiting time with watching condors circling the royal palace as the hilarious retrial of the changing of the guards was preformed for the umpteenth time of the year. Finally a short visit to the beach and a closer look at the Pacific Ocean, a first for many of us and then it was home, a long plane journey home and back to the comfort that our families bring. Only it wasn't over just yet for me!

The body can only with stand so much : high altitude pulmonary oedema and then a long aircraft journey was just too much and I found myself explaining my predicament  to a doctor in A and E later that night.  My right leg had become swollen: hard and purple in the area of my calf muscle and it was thought to be a suspected DVT. I had work the following day and was feeling very jet-lagged and had developed a funny tremble within me, it had been an eventful 12 days, but I also had lots of fantastic memories.

 Highlights of fauna bi–speckled bears
 Toucan
                                                                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment